Monday, January 10, 2011

Swords Design 1


Allright, so we have to start from something. Those are rough sketches that I've made today. Tell me where I should go with this.


2 comments:

Dopefish said...

It seems like all your swords are intended for one-handed wielding, but that shouldn't be too hard to convert to two-handed grip.

The reason why it needs to be two-handed, is that we'll make it clear that players are unavailable to perform handseals, or complex movement while wielding their swords, and that they need to be big enough to cut off limbs.

There needs to be a dull side to the blade for blocking with (could be a bit jagged from previous usage, or even have teeth on that side if we would want that), and have a point tip for thrusting.

The most suiting blades for this has been the two on the right side, second one from left, and the bottom one.

My personal favorite is the one to the right or the bottom one, as I have a preference for katana-esque blades.

It's good for them to have quite a long reach, so they'll be easier to use during gameplay, and this would suit having a two-handed grip for them.

I'm unsure if they need to be thicker or not, as a sharp blade could potentially still severe limbs.

I really like your clean style, and not overly decorated ones.

Here's a image of a wider blade, that more resembles a cleaver:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs15/f/2007/011/7/a/SWORD_by_FuzzyMonk.jpg

For some reference from an actual sword fight, see this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2zA9EabWmM

It's possible I'll contact them for recording their moves, but it's most likely we'll keyframe them instead.

Below you'll see some additional sword references (posted previously):
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiGCuAe9e0uc0AHQ3006XlAgibGvPGxxkKw69riO03CbayegQGgQ

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs14/PRE/f/2007/089/6/d/Anima__Katana_study_by_Wen_M.jpg

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs4/i/2004/231/b/a/Know_your_sword_.jpg

Cheers! :)

Dopefish said...

Sword is starting to look good :)