Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Cursed WIP




Hi. I'll be working on these two for a while now...

8 comments:

Dopefish said...

You're doing great work Patryk, so keep that up! :)

I like their color theme and clothing.

What does the armband symbol represent (other than them being cursed ones)?

I think it will be quite hard to move around in that type of dress, so perhaps shorten it a bit ;)

Either shorten it, or create several layers for it, where they would allow for more flexibility.

We are still undecided on any physical manifestation of the "corruption" other than the tattoos at the moment, so it's likely the third eye will be a bit too much. I like her makeup otherwise! :)

For the male, his upperbody looks really good but I'm uncertain about the part I've highlighted in red:
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6971/cursedmale.jpg

Either that, or perhaps it's the boots that might seem weird to go with bare legs =/

Keep it up!

CZERW said...

Thanks!

The symbol resemble two-headed fish. Its part of their 'religion'. It may represent dualism its also inspired by early christians ichthys symbol. Its hard to came up with something deeper as I dont know the backstory of the game too much.
If you want me to construct some better story behind that thats no problem though.

The eye doesnt need to be a 'manifestation'. It just may be simply that there are three-eyed people living there. You can came up with 5000 different stories to cover the third eye..it is your world ;) Still If you dont want it thats not a problem, its easy to erase..

The legs are supposed to look skinny, as hes older guy. He'll wear some rather tight pants though. I'll be changing them a lot though so it should look better next time.

Dopefish said...

Just keep in mind how they'll act within the game, and the gameplay therein.

The characters are supposed to be human. People will expect them to be, and will find it odd if there's something that deviates from those expectations.

It's also easier to create a fantasy which people can relate to, and thus feel more attached to it.


Would you feel interested in trying your hand at some of the sword designs or do you think we should try recruiting someone else to handle those things? :)

Your mainly with us as a character concept artist, so if you're not good at those kind of concepts it's understandable, but it's always good to have multi-talented team members! ^^

Would also be good to add the sword sheaths early to the characters, so that we can tell how they look with them, and/or if their sheaths should have different styles.


The tattoos for the arms will have to be separate concepts entirely, since they'll be really important to be as good as possible. They're one of the main cues for the characters to now their statuses.

I think I should contact a professional tattoo studio to hear some thoughts or to get some good concepts for those.

The only thing we have for them at the moment is that they're supposed to be tribal/celtic in design, be long lines of somekind that can easily describe the quantity or cooldown for the player's "mana", and that each spell probably will need a unique symbol so the player will know which is selected.


Oh, and a final note for the characters. When we implement them into the game, they'll have the same heights and postures.

CZERW said...

Oh your underestimate us players a bit I think. People have enough imagination to relate to even weirder creatures. I would say that originality is one of most important factors as people have seen things like this propably 1000 times before and would like to see something new for a change... I mean I would. Nevermind though you're the boss, eyes out :)
(I'll send updated picture later)

I can design swords If you want me to, thats not a problem. I would maybe do this traditional way If you dont mind - on the paper, would that be allright?

As for tatoos contacting a studio seems like good idea, though I dont think you really need a proffesional tattooist for that. I can try to design something actually, but that after Im done with what Im doing now.

Dopefish said...

It might be as you say, and orginality is always something good to strife for. Also, everyone that's working on this project are part of developing it, even though I might be the one with the final say, I highly value anyones input on anything.

You're free to do it on paper, but once we've decided upon a design, it might be good to remake it or color it digitally :)

Yeah, wait with the tattoos for now. I haven't commented on them so far since the focus currently is to get the style of the characters down. Only mentioned it so it's good to have in mind :)

Feel free to experiment, and it might either turn out really great, or I'll come in and comment on it ;)

Hopefully you'll get more comments on your work from the rest of the team once they come back from new year's, so we know that everyone is content that we're heading in the right direction.

Until then, keep up the good work! :)


Oh, and would you perhaps be interested in doing a speedpaint of one of the characters for PR purposes?

CZERW said...

Okay I can do speedpaint, allright. What's PR?

Dopefish said...

Promotional material! So a speedpaint would be a recording of you speedpainting a character, that we could upload to our mod page :)

CZERW said...

I'll do it!