What did you do for this milestone?
- Learnt how to use static meshes as collision, without having any UCX collision primitives set inside them, which enabled us to have the Super Mario 64 and Shadow of the Colossus test/reference levels.
- Worked on completing the Shadow of the Colossus test/reference level, which got implemented thanks to the help of toxicFork.
- Worked on test/reference levels from Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed 2.
- Started reading Milhaly Csikszentmihalyi's book "Flow: The psychology of optimal experience".
- Did some more documentation, and put everything nicely together into a Vision Statement pdf file.
What went right?
The Shadow of the Colossus test/reference level turned out totally awesome and has several really good spots to test our movement. From my tests on the Assassin's Creed test/reference level, I realized how similar our climbing is to theirs (with the exception for the animations) and how "easily" we could add in similar functionality on the already existing code.
I've also learnt ALOT about ripping stuff from other games, basic 3dsmax knowledge and how to import models properly to UDK.
What went wrong?
3D Ripper DX/3DVia Printscreen causes Mirror's Edge to crash on runtime, and I was unable to export the levels from the ME editor (add wxRC and wxRes from UT3 and run the game as "MirrorsEdge.exe editor").
I was able to use Umodel to export content and import it to 3DS Max and then export it to UDK, but the UV maps got messed up, and it's very very time consuming recreating the levels from Mirror's Edge by hand, and having to crossreference object names and positions through the ME editor all the time.
The test/reference level from Assassin's Creed had lots of issues, but most of them got resolved by seperating the scenes into smaller meshes (similar to the SotC fix we did), but they still couldn't be lit ingame for some reason. Also, I was only able to extract the normal maps without further testing (texmod, pix?).
I've started reading the Flow book, but my motivation to read through it sank when Endasil said it was crap (I blame you!), and that I got Puzzle Quest 2 for my DS and started playing that when going to sleep instead of reading.
Finally, I didn't have much time the latter half of the milestone due to work, and "open house" dance training for this week.
What could be done better for next milestone?
Not dance every single day of the week, and get better discipline on reading atleast an hour before starting to play games.
Endasil
What did you do for this milestone
Tried to get the mudwall spell working.
What went right?
What went wrong?
For some reason none of the Touch, ProcessTouch, HitWall gets called when the projectile collides. Got response from a forum where a person got it working with UT3 . Since the projectile derives from UTProjectile and not some custom base class created by me, it is really a mystery why this wont work. Was also busy moving during the weeks and have not had much time to work on it.
What could be done better for next milestone?
Try to get help from others faster and not be so stubborn and try to solve everything myself.
toxicFork
What did you do for this milestone?
What went right?
What went wrong?
What could be done better for next milestone?
No comments:
Post a Comment